Sunday, June 3, 2007

Reflection time!

Reflections: Sihi 2007

Everyone is safe and back in Vikasnagar. Tomorrow we leave for Eco-trek. Here is my reflection piece, as agreed.

‘Posing as a Teacher!’

‘Leading’ a group of young people is both a privilege and a serious responsibility. One has to constantly challenge oneself to meet the same standards, if not higher, as the ones expected of the group. But at the same time, you know that you must not submit another individual to the same standards as you would apply to yourself, because of cultural and generational differences. For example, I can squat on the ground, eat rice and daal with my fingers and feel quite satisfied. Can I expect the same from a young Canadian? On the other hand, if I can walk 16 km to a mountain village, shall I not expect the same from a fit young Canadian less than half my age?

Both these approaches are valid and require a fine balance. I was fortunate that I had almost seven years to get the hang of this balancing trick. Nevertheless, I still suffer from ‘self-doubts’ sometimes :-(

Maybe this is a healthy kind of self doubt which keeps us open and alive to every moment of learning from life. And my learning comes from observing interactions within and without:

Within: interactions between my various ‘selfs’- the “organizer”, the “facilitator”, the “communicator” and the “witness”- which just observes and wants to do nothing else! When I organize or facilitate, I expect certain outcomes. These outcomes are influenced by my culture and their (students’) culture. This expectation is almost unconscious on both sides. The ‘witness’ cringes whenever I pose as the ‘teacher’ or the ‘leader’; both are difficult jobs for anyone. But while doing this- this posing as a ‘teacher’- I become aware of all those little ‘kinks and bends’ within, which are normally invisible to myself, when I go around just doing my own thing.

Interactions in the outside world include those within the group, among members, between the group and my Indian colleagues, local rural community and finally between the group and myself.

One of the worthwhile lessons learnt in this process is: culture deeply influences our communication, our perspective and our responses. Profoundly so. A facilitator caught in such a scenario has to anticipate, act proactively and go out on a limb to get the meaning across. She or he also needs to learn to listen with the whole body and mind rather than just ears. When we listen in that fashion, we know how much structure versus spontaneity is called for in a given group situation, for example.

On the other hand, exercises like “Authentic self” challenged me and took me beyond my comfortable corner of the swimming pool!

Lastly, can you EVER take a group of young people for granted, no matter how many years you have been running the course?

This is what renews my faith in myself as a learning individual, even while ‘posing as a teacher’- as my cousin would phrase it.

Lastly a quote from The Prophet:

“Verily, you often make merry without knowing!”

Sachin

No comments: