Saturday, April 7, 2007

Countdown: 26 days

Namastay to each and every one of you(I spell it like it sounds - probably way off but its worth a shot and I know the SIHI group will get it thanks to our advanced Hindi lessons) So... I just got in from a Friday night waitressing shift at the wonderous Valentinos in Westdale where I live - such a slow night - its Easter weekend so it makes sense. I came home to check my email and found one about the blog - I had forgotten ALL ABOUT this - so cool - Im so sorry I didnt get to this sooner! I've gotten to it now (thankfully) so Ill let you in on me and my exciting life. Life is zooming by right now - so full of excitement on so many levels - I cannot believe that India is soooo soon:) Exam mode is setting in and India is still somewhat sureal - but it is constantly turing in the back of my mind. I am really looking forward to our appreciative inquiry - I am a member of the disabled group. I am in my third year of kinesiology and as a kin fanatic, rehabilitation, accomodation, and adaptation were my first personal underlying interests in choosing this perspective of appreciative inquiry. Secondly, I grew up in a "hippie" type of environment, and as a result am really into alternative methods, medicines, and practices - I am interested to see how these are implemented if so and what kinds of alternatives are being used. I am also really looking forward to the personal journey that India will encourage - I recently came across a LONG list of "life"questions to ask yourself periodically throughout your life and I plan on journaling about them during the trip. I would like to incorporate these into my inquiry and really learn about life from different persepctives as well as share life from my own perspective!!! I can't wait to meet everybody and get started on this journey. I am looking forawrd to a culture shock...simplifying life (taking a break from the fast paced, material driven, health defined as the absence of disease vs. healthful lifestyle practices to prevent disease kind of world Im living in now)...authentic Indian cuise (we have heard all about how great it is)....trekking and roughing it...fully emerging myself in the culture and ways of life and soaking up as much as I possibly can...practicing yoga (as it mentioned we will in our course outline - which I hope we get to)...learning new traditions, religious practices and beliefs.....
HHhhmmm what else...Im from a small town called Brantford just half an hours drive from Hamilton. I live in Hamilton with six other girls who go to McMaster during the school year. I belong to a family of four - Moms Pops and Nick who is my younger brother (we're really close). I have been dancing since I was two years old competitively in jazz, acrobatics, ballet, tap, and modern. I was in the McMaster Dance Company for my first and second year of university - I decided to stop dancing this year and change my focus - I have been volunteering with pediatrics at the hospital on campus as well as with a cardiac rehabilitation clinic on campus. Next year is my last year at Mac and Im torn between pursuing traditional medicine or naturopathic medicine afterward - I am leaning towards naturopathic more so because it is something that I feel I implement in my life already (you've got to practive what you preach in medicine in my opinion - this is very important) and I am SUPER passionate about it so...we shall see. Anywho I think I have rambled more than enough for now...I am going to go for a jog to clear my mind so that I can get some more studying in before bed - then Ill get up and do it ALL OVER AGAIN in the morning :) haha Looking forward to our meeting and exploring together!!! Peace and Love~ Chelsea Sek

1 comment:

Satyendra said...

Wow Chelsea! Great post!
I have just learned Accupuncture from Dr Pradeep. I am doing it for my knees. My early arthritis is responding very well. So, may be, you too could get a chance to see how alternative medicine works in the Himalayas- and not just Ontario! My knees are feeling so good- that I might offer you guys good competition in the mountains.. Ready for that?
sachin