Friday, April 13, 2007

Sara's Greeting!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first experience with blogging, but it definitely looks very useful to get everything organized for us and get a chance to get to know everyone before we go! My names Sara Coles, and I am a third year nurse, who will be going into my last year of school next year. I agree with Nora… scary!! But it is also very exciting, since I really love nursing. As well, I also considered Med School very seriously, however I have now decided that I want to stay in Nursing and go farther in this profession. This decision is mostly because I wish to become much more involved in International Health, which interests me much more than continuing in school for so many more years. I hope to get much more involved in overseas projects through organizations such as MSF once I graduate and have a few years of experience.
As for a few things about me, I am originally from Toronto, where I grew up with my mom, dad, and older sister. My favourite hobbies include drawing and painting, unfortunately since I’ve been in university I never really get a chance to keep it up because I’m too busy. I love reading any kind of books, fun fiction novels or interesting books on international social justice and health issues and other cultures, which are topics that I am passionate about.
I am very excited to be going to India, I love traveling and India has always been high on my list of places that I wish to see. I love different cultures, climates, customs, food, and I can’t wait to experience the Indian side of this. Last year I went with a different Mac team to Peru, where I loved every minute of it. The main things we did were learning about different social justice groups, working with children’s organizations and helping to build a community centre. I definitely feel that I changed for the better because of this experience, not in who I am but on my outlook on life and what I want to be in the future. I really think that anyone who is going to India for this purpose will experience the same change, so never fear!
I can’t wait to continue my exploration in understanding more about the world, understanding myself and my beliefs, and having broader perspective of life. The more experiences I have, the more it seems to strengthen my passion for continuing to work internationally in health, poverty, other global issues. I am also excited to meet everyone, it won’t be too long now!

See you soon,
Sara

No comments: