Thursday, April 12, 2007

Namastey, Finally!

My name is Nora, and I am so excited to be going to India in ... 23 days!!!
I am a third year Nursing student at McMaster, and will be graduating at this time next year ... which is something that I find frightening! As difficult as it is at times, I find comfort in school.I realize I will have a secure job waiting for me before I even graduate, but I find myself wondering if the nursing profession is the path I that I truely want to follow. Yes, I know it's a little late to doubt my career choice, and I realize that it is a much respected career, but I know I want to go further. I see myself in McMaster's medical school in September 2008; I can also see myself in the Nurse Practitioner's/Master's program after a few years in the field of nursing.I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am very ambitious, and have many dreams and goals.
Aside from Nursing, I am also minoring in French, which I hope to use in my future, perhaps moving to Quebec, or France? I am also part of the Mac Flute Ensemble, having played the flute for 11 years now. For the first two years at Mac, I was on the Nursing Student Council, which helped me gain appreciation for the political aspects in nursing student life.
This year I volunteered in a neonatal reserach project on RSV (which is a neonatal respiratory virus), run by an RN at the McMaster Hospital. Paediatrics and Neonatology is a sector of health care which I very much enjoy working in.
As for my intentions with SIHI, I am looking forward to discovering India, through its culture, landscape, health beliefs, religious beliefs, ... I am not limiting myself to what I want to learn about! I would really like to learn about the health care system of India, because I feel I have gained a somewhat of a good understanding of that system here in Hamilton, and Canada. By learning about health and provision of healthcare on a more global level, I hope to become a more well-rounded health care professional, not with blinders limiting my views to what I see in front of me, here and now.
Anyways, wow this is long! (this is my first blog ever, so excuse the ranting, haha)
I look forward to meeting Dr. Sachin & Raman, and to all the adventures ahead of us.
All the best until then!
Love,Nora

No comments: