Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hello from Lauren

Hey guys,

So its getting down to crunch time where we are all so busy with studying, exams and then on top of it thinking about the trip and packing. Im sitting here in the library on one of my study "breaks". I use the term break loosely because I have a terrible time trying to concentrate during the day so I usually find that my most productive studying happens at night. However, due to massive time contraints during exams I really am not left with any other choice lol. Anyways, Im a third year student with so many different insterests that it has been increadibly difficult for me to find my place academically here at Mac. I am primarily a Geography major, however I am also studying for 2 other majors at the same time. It is a lot of work but I love every second of it. I know it sounds strange but I thrive on the pressure to get everything done in short periods of time and then later the feeling of accomplishemnt when I know I have succeeded. That is partly why I love particiapting on trips such as this one. As some of you know, I did something like this last year when I went to Kenya for a month with a group of students (mainly from Mac but about 7 from across Canada and 2 from the US). We went there to build a school in the Masaai Mara. It was honeslty the best experience of my life. I made some of the best friends I could ever wish for, I got to meet a community and interact with them on a daily basis to the point where at the end I could have lived there for the next year and loved it, and I got to teach kids their school lessons and about myself and the Canadian culture. I cannot even begin to describe the rest of my trip in writing as it was such a changing experience of my life and I have not been the same since I got back (in a good way of course). I know this trip with all of you is going to be such an adventure. I can't wait to really get to know you all and for our group to really bond. The next few weeks will be hard with everything that is going on but in the end, when we are all sitting in the airport alone as a group after our families have said goodbye, we will all be rewarded with the start of one of the best experiences of our lives. I can't wait!

See you all soon, Lauren

1 comment:

Satyendra said...

Dear Lauren
Thank u so much for taking time out and sharing ur thoughts..

Himalaya came into existence due to collision of two tectonic plates.. There are 'faults' and stress lines.. It is still growing. Its geology is as interesting as that of Canadian shield..
May I expect you to provide us with more insights into these phenomena, when we are up in the Himalayas?
sachin